Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Sold!

With baby #3 on the way the Officer and I realized we would need a bigger car.  I got my 97 Honda CRV in High School, and it has been so reliable for the last 10 years, but the idea of trying to squeeze three little ones in the backseat is unnecessary torture. (I was having visions of  wrangling three babies/toddlers into their crammed carseats while they were screaming and thrashing- I'm not sure why, since usually they have no problems getting in the car, but certainly squeezing three back there would mean instant suffering). Well, one of my awesome sisters hooked us up with a friend who was selling a minivan and we got a good deal on a Sienna that we love already!! So we had our new van and now we had to figure out how to get rid of the CRV.....

The Officer and I had no experience selling cars, so we started asking around trying to find someone who needed a car. We found no takers. We couldn't even convince my brother-in-law to take it for free, but he does live 10 hours away and only needs cars that can fit a soccer team. Sidenote: when you have 12 children and are looking for a car for your soon-to-be 16 year-old you apparently need a van, because the 16 year-old drives 7 children to school every day! So we decided to turn to Craigslist. If you know the Officer you know that he is pretty paranoid about safety, so we have never used Craigslist, but we cautiously gave it a try. At 8:30 pm the Officer listed my car for just below KBB value and mentioned all of the issues with it, and he added a horrible picture of it that he took in the dark on his phone.
This doesn't look like a sketchy car at all.
Somehow this appealing ad worked and we had 4 phone calls and an email within an hour of posting it. The next morning the Officer had 3 people scheduled to come look at it and trying to beat the others to get there first. He got this text: "I'm on my way with cash." But then someone else showed up even faster and gave us our asking price, and 12 hours after our posting my car was sold! Wow, I guess we should have asked for more. So I would say our first experience with Craigslist was a huge success and now the Officer will be willing to use it again I hope!

Here it is looking much more desirable in the sunlight.
I must say that I was really sad to see it go (maybe just hormones), but fortunately the interesting man who bought it came back later in the day to get it and drove it away (through our yard?!) without telling us, so I didn't actually have to watch it go. If I was feeling any sadness though I can just think about my sliding doors, extra row, stow and go seating, and the list goes on.....
We love our new van!

2 comments:

  1. "This doesn't look like a sketchy car at all" - LOLOL! Glad you didn't have to watch your car drive away - hormones or not, that's a sad thing. Can't wait to take a spin in the new ride!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Def not a future in marketing for Z!

    ReplyDelete