Friday, February 14, 2014

Snow and Love!

We had a snow day here yesterday, and when you are a teacher snow days are as exciting as they were when you were 10! I was nervous about this snow day though, because the weathermen were calling for some crazy 10" of snow followed by sleet, and everyone was worried about losing power. Unfortunately, the Officer has to work no matter how bad the weather, so I was stuck at home with the girls Wednesday and Thursday night. I'm always nervous about the Officer being out in the bad weather. I was also very nervous about being snowed in alone with the girls and losing power, so I went into my crazy preparation mode.....

I got everything around the house filled with water, all the flashlights/lanterns out, and every electrical item in the house charging. Then on the phone my Mom suggested getting some firewood, so I made the trek outside to get 399999 pieces of firewood (well it wasn't quite that much, but to my tired pregnant self carrying that through the snow it felt like much more).
Prepared.
Of course I have this weird fear of lighting matches and setting my house on fire, so if I had needed to build a fire the anxiety level would have been high, and I would have needed to call at least 4 people for moral support. First, I would have called the Officer and this is how that conversation would have gone (I know this because we've had this exact conversation on the phone before):

Me: The power is out!
The Officer: Okay
......
The Officer: Is there a problem?
Me: The power is out!?!?!
The Officer: Ok get the flashlights and candles, and you will be fine.
Me: But it's dark, we're hungry, and the girls (me) are scared. (This time I would have added freezing)
The Officer: People lived without electricity for centuries. I think you will be just fine. Do you want me to ask my Mom or Dad to drive out there (an hour away).
Me: (guilt mixed with pity party) No.
......I hang up phone and immediately call my Mom/sisters to get the sympathy I need.
......the Officer hangs up and calls his Saint of a Mother to come rescue me (because even though he pretends to be all tough he really would do anything for me)

Snow is so pretty, as long as I don't lose power!
Fortunately, the storm didn't end up being too bad, and we never lost power, and the Officer made it home safely both nights! So all that worry was for nothing. Instead I got to enjoy snuggling on my bed between the girls reading books as the snow fell outside my window, and we all got to play in the snow when the Officer was home in the morning. We also finally got to build a snowman, which was very exciting.... Belle has waited all winter to build a snowman, but we don't get much snow and so far none of it has been good enough to make snowmen.

Belle named the snowman "Hippo", which is also what she has named our unborn baby.....


they have SO much fun playing in the snow with their Daddy! 


The first time it snowed this winter Belle asked where the carrots were in the snow. I was very confused, but she explained that snowmen need carrots for noses. I guess she thought they would just fall right out of the sky with the snow :) 

 Now today we were all home celebrating Valentine's Day! The Officer was supposed to go away this weekend for his nephew's baptism, but I got some kind of stomach bug on top of nausea, which is as pleasant as it sounds, so he stayed home to take care of all his girls. We already went on an amazing dinner date last week, since he was supposed to be gone. So tonight we will all stay in, watch the Olympics, and think about how blessed we are to have so much love filling our house!!

5 comments:

  1. "Is there a problem?"... I can hear him saying those words!
    Hippo! Ha!
    And the carrots falling with the snow was awesome.
    Hope you feel better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yes the carrots made me laugh. I'm feeling much better thank you :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um...how did I not know you had a match phobia?! Thank you for giving voice to this LEGITIMATE fear! The carrots in the snow is just about the cutest story ever. Also, isn't it ridiculous to find adequate clothing for fun in the snow while pregnant? Hello hubby's closet...
    Hope you're feeling better xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ugh tell me about the pregnant snow clothes... I'm not sure if it will be worse to be super pregnant in the winter and have to find warm clothes that fit the belly or in the summer and have to wear clothes that show off the pregnant body??? so glad we can share the match phobia together!

      Delete