Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Good days

All Moms have the days when nothing seems to go right, and you are staring at the clock wondering how soon is an acceptable time to put your children to bed? Like when a toddler throws down an epic tantrum because somebody is wearing the socks that she wanted to wear today (or you know, she doesn't have peanut butter and jelly). Or the day my 3-year-old "helper" drops a gallon of paint in my kitchen, and I almost cry as semi-gloss white paint comes pouring out all over my hardwood floors (that one actually didn't end too badly). Those days can be hard. I probably won't forget those hard days, even if I wanted to, but I definitely want to remember the good days. Especially on the challenging days when patience is hard to find.... I want to remember the joyful moments, the days when I don't think I could possibly love these little humans more than I already do.

One of the nice peaceful moments

Yesterday was one of the good days. Yesterday the Officer worked a 23 hour day. 23 hours straight at work. You might want to feel sorry for the Officer who had to stay awake that long, but really we all know that Mommy alone with 3 kids for 23 hours is the one you should feel sorry for- well at least since she's the one writing the blog.

I had mentally prepared myself for the marathon day and was expecting it to be awful. I had to take all 3 of them to the grocery store and the craft store. Miraculously, the whole day went really smoothly. All 4 of us napped =) which is my definition of a good day. Then I was putting the girls to bed, and usually at the end of a long day alone I practically throw them in their beds and run for the couch. Have you heard Jim Gaffigan say that bedtime is like hostage negotiations in reverse??... you will give the kids anything they want just to stay in their rooms- yes that is my life at night. Not last night.

Belle was telling me how she is getting all grown-up. I gave her my usual, "Oh no you are not allowed to grow up. I want you to stay my little girl forever!" Then my little girl who can be so stubborn and bossy laid this on me...
Belle: "I want to grow-up and get old so that I can go be with Jesus some day."
Me:
Belle: "Mommy, will you help me go be with Jesus when I get old?"

Oh, I hope so my dear girl. I hope so. Then they all peacefully went to sleep with none of my usual hostage negotiations, threats, or bribes. Yes, it was a good day.


3 comments:

  1. I just cried. I was enjoying your beautiful writing, waiting for the funny comment and then BAM, I cried. I cried because of her faith, because of her trust in her mommy, because of course she wants to be with Him whom she was made to love, and also (a tiny bit) because it is hard to think of her dying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was definitely trying not to cry when she said it to me

      Delete
  2. How beautiful! Oh, your girls are such blessings to this world!!!

    ReplyDelete