Wednesday, April 2, 2014

11:00 pm meltdown

Last Saturday night we went to a friends' house for dinner. They are an awesome couple with an adorable little girl the same age as Bug. We had a yummy dinner and then hung out while the girls all played happily. We had planned to put the girls down at our friends' house, so the adults could hang out some more. The girls are such good sleepers, and we figured it would be no big deal to put them down there for a while. Wrong. We put them in the same room, which always means they think it is party time. So after they talked and laughed for almost an hour they were finally quiet for maybe 30 minutes, and we thought they were asleep. Then we heard Bug yelling, so I went in to find a nice little diaper that needed to be changed, which meant Belle was up too. By then it was 10:30 and the girls were obviously not getting any sleep, so we packed them up to take them home and had a delightful trip home.

Bug is usually very easy going and smiley, but that girl does not function without her sleep. We had a 30 minute drive home at 10:30 pm, and Bug screamed in her carseat for the first 20 minutes. I can't blame her.... I'm a grump too when I don't get my many hours of required sleep, and I was feeling really bad about keeping her up so late. The really frustrating part was that she was yelling for something specific over and over again, but the Officer and I could not figure out what she was saying. Even her translator (Belle) couldn't figure out what she was saying. She's 2 and sometimes hard to understand, and she was crying so much it was just impossible to tell what she was saying. I knew she was tired, so I guessed everything logical for bedtime.... her lambie, her blanket, her crib, water, a diaper, snuggles, kisses.... we had a long 20 minutes in the screaming car. Then as we got off the exit 5 minutes from our house I finally figured out what she was saying......


 "Peanut butter jelly!!!!!" That is what she was yelling nonstop at 11:00 pm. The day before I had given the girls PB&J in the car when we were driving at lunchtime, so I guess she thought that was the standard now. All she wanted was for us to understand her. Once I finally figured it out and told her, "No we do not have any peanut butter and jelly right now, Bug." Then she was completely content and silent the rest of the way home.  We made it home, she fell asleep immediately, and slept in until 10:00 am the next day. Ever since then whenever someone has been acting irrationally (which happens quite frequently in a house with toddlers and a man ;) the Officer and I just say, "peanut butter jelly!!" and laugh about Bug's middle of the night demands.

5 comments:

  1. So this made me quite literally "LOL"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. certainly your 2 year old has never made any absurd requests right??? :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. :) well we all know that I'm always perfectly rational

      Delete