Friday, May 8, 2015

My awesome kid (one of them)

A few days ago Belle and I had a tough day together. Belle was being whiney and threw a few tantrums, and I was being grumpy and short-tempered. It felt like a long painful day. Whenever I have a rough day with one of my kids it's usually more my fault than theirs. So the next day I woke up and took the girls to their favorite park to play all morning, and I was just present for them without trying to vacuum the house, do grocery shopping, talk on my phone, check email, or the other million things that so often get in the way. We had fun.


As Lettie and I sat on the bench eating cheerios and watching the big sisters play I thought about how lucky I am to have Belle as my daughter. Oh we have our moments and even our days that are difficult, but she is an awesome kid. She is independent, smart, fun and creative. She finds joy in everything.


She is an incredible big sister, and a huge help to me. She would do anything for her sisters, and we are blessed to have her in our family.


As I sat on that bench watching her push her little sister over and over on the swing (what is that thing called??), I thought "wow how can I ever be mad at that kid." Of course I've already gotten mad at her since then, but wow I'm a lucky Mama. Today Bug and I had quite the day of tantrums, so tonight I need to sit back and think about the millions of things I love about Bug. There is always someone in this house keeping me on my toes. I just hope I always remember how much all of the good outweighs any of the bad.

1 comment:

  1. It's inspiring to hear how reflective you are about your relationships with the kids. I was so excited about the "fort building" picture and then whamo! I scrolled to that last picture and it was like seeing a picture of you as a kid. Such happy memories...

    ReplyDelete